Working together to save our local pub and develop a community hub
The community of Hayscastle has lost its shop, post office, petrol station and school over the last 50 years. We can’t let the pub close too!
The Cross Inn is a pub located in the centre of the village of Hayscastle Cross which is strategically located between the County town of Haverfordwest, the city of St David’s and the coastal town of Fishguard.
- To ensure the Cross Inn remains at the heart of our vibrant community.
- To provide a place for people of all ages to socialise both in the traditional bar and the newly renovated ‘Cwtsh’, which will provide a welcoming and family-friendly environment to compliment the more traditional bar.
- To provide a comfortable and welcoming space for use by local people and organisations.
- To hold Welsh events and social evenings.
- To support local businesses and form partnerships with local companies and organisations.
- To oﬀer drinks and meals, using local produce.
- To secure employment and training opportunities for local people, young and old, and support them to fulﬁl their potential.
What have we done?
- Survey undertaken to obtain public feedback.
- Feasibility study undertaken to assess the viability of the community purchase.
- Y Cross Cas-lai is a registered Community Benefits Society – approved by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Y Cross Cas-lai CBS bank account has been secured with the Cooperative Bank.
- A Business Plan encompassing every aspect of the Y Cross Cas-lai vision including financial forecasts has been developed.
- Y Cross Cas-lai Share Offer document is finalised and ready for distribution.
- Minimum Share Offer Target reached. Just over £210k from share sales.
- £244k grant funding secured.
- Building and equipment purchased.
- Essential renovation of the building.
- Develop the “Cwtsh” which will be family friendly space for good food, social activities, and events.
- Have a welcoming and nature-friendly family usable garden space.
- Our Community Benefit Society business model has an asset lock, meaning all profits have to be re invested in the business. Any surplus can be used to support other organisations in the community.
- We will work together in harmony with Hayscastle Community Centre to ensure a joined up collaborative community approach.
We have come a long way, let’s finish the job!
If not for us, then for future generations!
Please help us on our journey